Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Deal

I am quite pissed off right now. I bought a camera on eBay a fortnight ago. It was a pretty good deal…perhaps too good. Despite repeated mails to the seller he has not replied and not given me any reason to believe he is going to send the item. So I opened a dispute in PayPal’s resolution centre today about it. I have never had to this before so I am not very au fait with how it all works. It seems PayPal will contact the seller and eventually make a decision by October 30th which does me a fat lot of good. I am in a really awkward spot now: do I wait and hope he comes through and potentially own no camera when I depart or do I just go and buy a camera and risk owning 2 cameras. I think it’s likely too late to buy online which means I have the pay an Irish premium for a new model. I hadn’t used eBay until I started preparing for this trip so I’m not best impressed. I have no idea if I will even get back my money?

Does anyone know the likelihood of me winning the dispute?

2 comments:

  1. If he can't prove he sent it (i.e. with a tracking number) then you will "win" the dispute and get your money refunded, as it is guaranteed by eBay. Was the location of the camera being auctioned in Ireland? I know many sellers in the USA wont ship internationally but eBay doesn't always prevent anyone from bidding worldwide. Sounds like a tough situation about choosing to purchase another camera or not...good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah he is in Ireland, cork to be exact, while I am in Dublin. His rep is good but he seemingly falling of the radar.
    So I should win if nothing else happens to the 30th. I'm resigned to having to buy a new one I think.
    Oh well, I guess I am having taste of how everything doesn't go according to plan just like on the road.

    ReplyDelete