Saturday, October 9, 2010

So it begins

I soon begin what I have been telling my friends and family is a RTW trip; truthfully though, I have no idea whether my travels will justify that rather lofty title. To say my itinerary is somewhat fluid is like saying Ireland is somewhat broke. My formal plan is as follows arrive in Bangkok on the 20th of October, get the airport coach from Suvarnabhumi airport to the NapPark Hostel where I have booked for 2 days and from there my travel story has yet to be written. This is a purposeful decision on my part after extensive reading from those who undertook such a trip before me. I have never undertaken a trip of this nature; in fact I have never gone on any type of backpacking trip. All I can do is trust the word of my travel forebearers and be ready and willing to embrace the unknown. A light itinerary provides flexibility and freedom and when I think about it, the fundamental idea makes sense; when am I best able to plan where to go and how long to go for, in my bedroom on a dreary night with a Lonely Planet Guide or on the road where I can feel, touch and smell the surroundings, while living with people who have been there done that. I know some people like to tightly plan each day of their whole trip but, frankly, I don’t trust my judgment all that much.

I am writing this journal primarily to keep a permanent record of the mistakes I will make, the adventures I shall have, and the places I visit. To the reader I promise 1 thing and 1 thing only, honesty. Whatever I do, whether it is embarrassing, courageous, morally questionable, invigorating, disgusting or life changing, I have no interest in offering a filtered account of my travels as I don’t want to lie to myself. I would love this to be the most amazing experience, hell I expect it to be but if it isn’t then so be it. There will no post hoc justification to make myself feel better about undertaking this. Just the truth, at least my perspective of it

No comments:

Post a Comment